Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mia's medical update

Thank you everyone for your prayers yesterday on Mia's behalf. I am always so quick to update Facebook, and then forget about those of you who might be following and concerned who I'm not "friends" with on Facebook! :) I was WAY too tired when we got home from Hopkins yesterday to write a post, but here it goes (a day later :) ...

We had to be at Hopkins at 7:45am. Of course Mia would choose 4am as her wake up time on a day that she can't eat or drink :( But actually she handled it amazingly well! She's like her mommy and is a fan of food, so I thought it was going to be torture, but again, she did awesome! We were taken back around 8:15-ish for the IV to be placed. UGH, that was a nightmare. Mia has had IV's before and of course she didn't love it (who does???) but the protocol yesterday was that during the IV placement Mia would be put in a papoose (basically a straight jacket! :( I had to leave the room. I am SEVERELY claustrophobic and the sight of anyone, especially my children, being confined and held down really freaks me out. Thankfully my hubby stood strong and stayed in the room with her. I stood in the hallway and listened to my baby scream for at least 20-25 minutes straight. All I could do was pray. Pray for her. Pray for my hubby. (because I knew it was breaking his heart to watch/listen). FINALLY the door opened and I could go in...my little girl just looked worn out and sad. We were instructed to come back in about an hour, so the medicine would have time to circulate to her kidneys, and the scan could start. We walked around and played the, "Don't touch your IV" game and killed time. We returned to the scan room, the IV was checked (Thankfully it didn't come out-which they were afraid of because she was sweating so bad from fighting it!) I was able to hold her while they put the sedation in her IV. We waited awhile, and I went to place her on the table (so they could strap her down again for the DMSA scan to begin) AND SHE WOKE UP!!!! Poor thing! They had to give her more sedation and then she was O-U-T! Manny and I were able to sit in the room with her while they did the entire scan, which I was so thankful for. I know she was sleeping, but I liked being able to watch her. It was about an hour and 15 minutes total. Then it was time to wake her up...poor thing was SO out of it!!!!!!!! :( We weren't able to leave until she could hold her head up and could drink something (she drank from a straw as if she had been doing it her whole life when in actuality she's only drank from a straw once before, and that was Saturday! :) With wobbly headed baby in tow, we headed home. But not before the Radiologist (who would have read the scans that night) stopped in (he just happened to be on call, and there) to tell us that at first glance, nothing major appeared to be going on. He said if it was anything, it would be something very small. Praise God! I have a call in to Mia's Nephrologist (kidney dr) to get exact results, but the preliminary results seem promising! :) Again, thank you God!

I'm SO glad that it's finally over with and the scan actually happened this time! :) I'm SO thankful that Mia handled everything so well (considering! :)) I'm SO grateful that preliminary results look good. And I'm SO blessed to have had so many people praying for my sweet girl!

Back to work...(I'm working from home AGAIN today because it appears Manuel has pink eye, AGAIN!!! Never a dull moment friends, NEVER a dull moment! :)

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Thanks for the update! Sweet Mia has been in my thoughts for the last few days, and I'm so glad that the procedure is over with! :)

Lindsay said...

PRaying for you guys. Hang in there!

Hanna said...

Thanks for letting us know how it all turned out. I'm so glad she made it through okay and that everything looks good so far. Poor baby. I can't even imagine having to deal with all that. what a relief it's over! I'm so sorry Manny has pinbk eye again. Geez! What a drag!