Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My name is Christina....

And my kids can be ornery. Should there be an OCA (ornery children anonymous)? Seriously, I feel like it's something that mothers are ashamed of and totally try to hide (I'm guilty of it too :). But why? They are CHILDREN! They are going to misbehave. They are going to not share. They are going to throw tantrums. They are going to get sassy. And as long as it's not something that you accept or allow to happen ALL THE TIME, it's okay. They will outgrow it. They will mature and it will stop.

Again, I'm guilty of it too, but really, if you are on a play date and your child isn't sharing, it's always, "Awww _____, I know you're tired, that's why you're not sharing!" or, "Oh ______, I know you're not used to this many children, that's why you're hitting the other children." Did we ever stop and think, "Oh Mia, I know why you're throwing yourself back and on the floor when Mommy takes that crayon out of your hand because you don't like me saying no, and you're mad that I am but it isn't okay to draw on your clothes!" :)

Case in point...awhile back we had a "run-in" for lack of a better word of child that's not a fan of sharing. Every time a child had a toy "this child" (the non-sharer) would want it. And every time this child's parents would take the toy out of said child's hand and give it back to child it was taken from, the parent would follow it up with an excuse, "Oh _____, I know you're not sharing because you're tired." Then the next encounter it was, "I know you're not sharing because you're hungry...." and it just went on and on. No, the child isn't sharing because that's what toddlers do sometimes AND.THAT'S.OKAY! :)

My name is Christina and my children, who I love more then life itself, misbehave. I have a 5 year old and a one year old who have been known to throw fits, not share, hit, talk back (the 5 year old), and just plain ol' misbehave. It wasn't because they were tired, hungry, sick, overstimulated, understimulated, potty training, not potty training, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't mean that I'm not a good parent. It doesn't mean that they are spoiled. It doesn't mean that I don't discipline.  It's because they are FIVE and ONE and thats what kids do. Enough said!

Shewww, that was exhilirating! :)

And for good measure...
A flashback from a little less than a year ago...

5 comments:

Heather @ Girl Gone Mom said...

Too cute!

Courtney B said...

Isn't it the truth though? I try to pretend like my husband isn't ever onery... HA! We all know that's a big fat lie and he gets just as ornery as I do :) Can't wait to see what I try to hide about my kids when we have them :)
I loved this post!!

And I love the meaning behind your Mia's name! The meaning behind it for us is that my husband speaks fluent spanish and wanted to incorporate that somehow (but I wanted a normal sounding name..horrible?) Mia is the feminine version of "mine" in spanish. That goes hand in hand with your meaning I think :)

AmyLee said...

yeah, i am not ready for parker to start intentionally doing naughty things... but, it's already starting to happen. good thing they're so cute ;)

Jackie said...

So true! This post was great!

Romance In A Glance said...

Hey there! You have beautiful family! I found your blog over at Sweet Pea Totes! You can enter the give away at my blog...there are many ways to earn multiple entries!!!

Have A Great Day,
~Romantic Savy