Thursday, September 8, 2011

An update

Hello friends :)

Thank you all so much for your kind comments, concerns and suggestions on my post from yesterday. It was weighing SO heavily on my heart, and even more so after Manuel came home and told me about ANOTHER incident between he and Billy (UGH!!). Someone used the term squeaky wheel yesterday and that's exactly it...I didn't want to be the annoyingly overly involved mom who needs to relax, HOWEVER, after Manuel telling me about day #2's incident, I had to e-mail his teacher, and I am SO glad that I did!!!

She was SO receptive to my concern and of course, as I figured, had no idea that any of it was happening and was actually quite surprised because she said Manuel and Billy seem pretty inseparable. At the beginning of the day she thanked me for letting her know, and told me that she would keep an eye out for anything, as well as talk to both boys (because as I had explained in my initial e-mail, I understand that there are two sides to every story). I was pleased beyond words when I got this e-mail from her a few hours ago (*names have been shortened to protect everyones privacy ;))

"Hi Mrs. Gomez,
No worries!  Helping the students learn how to get along is part of my job :) Mrs. D (our school counselor) was in today and she spoke with both of the boys.  She talked about how to problem solve and about being respectful to each other.  They have done a pretty good job doing that today.  The two are pretty inseparable.  Mrs. D was surprised that they were having issues since they are always together.  Maybe being together all the time is not always the best thing. :) They were “swinging arms in pretend hitting” today, so I did separate them in line.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if you see or hear of any other issues.  Thank you again for your support of Manny.
Mrs. B"

*Please note: Manuel will be spoken to about "play hitting"! ;)*

I feel happy, relieved and SO grateful for how receptive she was.

Thank you again for all of your support. I'm not sure I would have written her had it not been for all of you encouraging me to do so. Thank you for making me realize I wasn't being crazy! ;)

Happy Thursday!

I hope to be linking up again tomorrow with Katie's 30 day challenge :)

2 comments:

Kayla said...

I am so happy for you! I am breathing a sigh of relief. I really can't handle bullies of any kind or age. I just wont put up with it. It can be really damaging to esteem and overall personality. I am glad you stood up for your little man which I KNOW that you will have to take up arms again one day to make sure no one messes with him. I do know the most important thing is to make sure that he knows he is perfect and that no one should ever make him feel bad about himself. I always tell Tater. You are brave, you are handsome, you are loved, you will/can/are the best, never give up, be kind hearted, etc. Everyday I make sure I talk to him this way so that he will have the confidence if not to be a leader but be the best HE can be!

Jackie said...

I just read your previous and post, and am so happy to read your update. I cannot imagine how your heart must feel when Manuel tells you of someone picking on him...my heart aches just thinking about someone doing that to Isla. As mommies, we always want to protect our kids from the negative in the world, and I'm sure it's hard when it's out of your control. Thinking of you and Manuel and hoping for a smooth school year! xoxo