Monday, March 21, 2011

I said "Yes!"

That sounds like the title of an engagement story post, but as most of you know, I'm already married (and will actually be celebrating my 5 year wedding anniversary on 3/30/11 :) so my title has nothing to do with that. It has to do with a fellow bloggers post that I read a few weeks back and I was touched, moved and motivated to make change (as I often am when I read her posts)! Rachel at finding joy is SO inspiring. If you don't read her blog, you should. She is a mom to SEVEN children and just completely awesome! Her posts are inspiring, raw, straight from the heart, and her faith in God is constant, even in her struggles. Go visit and read about her life, you'll be inspired too. But back to her post a few weeks back...it was about making a conscious effort to say yes to our children when we are SO used to saying no. I'm guilty of this more than I care to admit. Anytime Manuel asks me anything, I feel like my first answer is always, "No!" Sometimes I don't even think it's intentional or that I'm evening listening to what he's asking, but yet the word "no" just flows from my lips before I've even processed what he's asked. That's sad, but the truth nonetheless. So the other morning we were up and at 'em early, like we always are Monday-Friday and he was feeling a bit sluggish (don't we all have those mornings?) and when I went to wake him up (he was sleeping in our bed with my husband because Mia had a bad night and I was sleeping in their room in Manuel's bed (while Mia slept in her crib)) and he said, "Mommy can I just stay snuggled up in here for a few more minutes?" Typically, "No!" would have shot out of my mouth faster than the blink of an eye (because he has to get to school, Mia has to get to daycare, I have to get work, etc.) but I stopped myself, "Sure buddy! You can stay snuggled up until Mommy's done her hair." You would have thought he had just won the lottery! :) He was very excited to relax a little longer and watch cartoons until I was done. He happily cooperated when I told him it was time to get dressed. Then he asked me another question that would, hands down, ALWAYS get a no response..."Mommy, can I eat my breakfast in bed today?" But as "no" was about to come out of my mouth, I stopped myself and thought, "UGH! Toast (which he loves and was having for breakfast that morning) can make a huge mess and get crumbs everywhere in my bed, BUT, ITS.JUST.CRUMBS! They can be cleaned up. They won't stain. They won't ruin my sheets. Christina, do you know how many parents would LOVE for their child to eat breakfast in their bed, but their child is sick in the hospital, or even worst, no longer with them :(" So I looked at him, smiled, and said, "Yes! Mommy will be right back. Let me go get your toast." Again, he was SO happy over something SO simple. With children, it's the little things. Sometimes we get so caught up in life, that we forget to stop and just "be".

I'm not perfect! I'm sure I've said "no" twenty times more then I've said yes since reading Rachel's post BUT I'm making and effort. I'm trying. If you're guilty, like me, give it a try too! :) And if you are perfect and wonderful and making no parenting mistakes ;), but still want to meet an amazing blogger go visit, finding joy. You'll be inspired! :)

3 comments:

Jackie said...

This was a great reminder. I'm definitely going to make an effort to say "yes" more often, too!

Lindsay said...

This post rocks :)

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I am so guilty of this!

For me I think I just need to focus on having more fun with the kids throughout the day.

Thanks for your post. I needed this today. Janae