Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What is my "calling?"

As I had mentioned in my last post, Saturday was my birthday. The day came and went as birthdays do as you get older, not much fanfare, but just enough love and attention to make a girl feel special! :) Now, if you've ever lived through a birthday while being on Facebook, that just adds some extra "special" to your day, as your birthday wishes roll in via comments, messages, etc. I know it might sound silly, but how can 100+ birthday wishes not make a person feel special!?!? It does for me, that's for sure! :) But there was one comment that stuck out to me more than any of the others, because it made me tear up and think, "Wow, someone really thinks that about me?"

This comment came from a "friend" named Erin. I put the word friend in quotes, because she isn't a bestie, she isn't family, and I'd venture to say it's been 5+ years since I've seen her, but we hung out in the same crowd years back, I keep up on her family via Facebook, and apparently she does the same to me! :)

After leaving me the standard, "Happy Birthday" comment, she then replied to her comment with this...

"Every time you post something it always makes me smile...you are such a positive and spiritual person...gives me hope that there are good people!!! Hope you enjoy this beautiful day:)"

Wow! What a kind, sweet thing to say to me! I tend to be a pretty positive person, it's just my nature. Of course we ALL have bad days, we all have struggles and NO ONES life is perfect...we lose our patience with our children, we bicker with our spouses, we say mean things to the person who cut us off in traffic, we might tell a little white lie (although I am the WORST liar ever!!!!! Not that that's a bad thing! ;)) Like the song, by Natalie Grant, says,

Tell the world you've got it all together

And never let him see what's underneath
We cover it up with a crooked smile
But it only lasts for a little while


There's no such thing as perfect people
There's no such thing as a perfect life
So come as you are, broken and scarred
Lift up your heart and be amazed
And be changed by a perfect God

So although my life isn't perfect, I tend to keep my Facebook statuses, light and positive (usually! ;)) and I often wonder (because I'm super self conscious), "Do people think my statuses are phony?" "Do people think I'm annoying?" etc. and then to hear someone say something kind like that cast all those shadows of doubt aside and made me realize, even if I inspire just one person, then who cares what the naysayers think? I was named "Most Inspiring of 2011" at my work so that has to mean something? ;)

Which brings me to the point of my title (yes, I do have a point! ;)) While sitting in church each Sunday, I often think to myself (especially if the sermon is speaking about "calling") what is my purpose in this world (other than being a good wife, mother, sister, daughter, etc.) What is my TRUE purpose? If you are a Christian, most likely you've heard the word "calling" before and what it pertains to. I want(ed) to find my calling, and sometimes my friends, I often wonder is my "calling" simply what I've been living....just to be a positive, happy, "inspiration" (for lack of a better term) in peoples lives. When I tell people I'm praying for them, I pray. When someone is on my heart, I pray for them EVERY SINGLE DAY! There are many blogger friends/families that I have met, who have touched my heart, and I pray for their well being each day.  Maybe it's just THAT simple...be me, be positive, be loving, be prayerful, be kind. So maybe it's not my "calling" but maybe it's just a way of life we should all try to live! :)

*After typing this post, I thought, "Do I sound pretentious?" There I go thinking again friends! :) Just know that this post was written with nothing but the best of intentions and I pray that it doesn't come off arrogant or self righteous! :)









1 comment:

amy (metz) walker said...

I always think of my life as a "calling"...wondering what God is going to put before me/us and how I'm supposed to best use this life He's given me! I feel you!