Friday, February 10, 2012

Show of Us Your Life: Working (outside of the home! :)) Moms

I started reading Kelly's Korner shortly after the birth of her adorable daughter Harper. Kelly has has gone on to have another super adorable daughter, Hollis, and I just love reading her blog. She is a Christian, and seems like the sweetest, down to Earth person I've ever "met" and she's Southern, which I just adore! :)

Each week she does a link-up with various topics. I don't think I've ever linked up before, but this week, the topic hits very close to home, so I thought I'd give it a try! :)

Working Moms (meaning who work outside of the home. I know stay at home mommies work too! :))

I think there is sometimes a stereotype that comes along with moms who work outside of the home...we don't WANT to spend all day with our children, we just aren't willing to make the sacrifices needed in order to stay home, and the list goes on and on. Let me tell you, I love my children more than anything in this world, equally as much as the next mom, whether she stays home, works from home, or works outside of the home. We are on the same team...Team Motherhood and should value and respect one another. Some moms choose to stay home, some moms choose to work outside of the home, some work outside of the home because they have no choice! Whatever your reason, whatever it is you do, embrace it! :)

I work outside of the home, in an office, because, in order to keep our family afloat, that's what I HAVE to do! I'd like to stay home eventually, but for now, that's not in the cards, and I've come to accept that, enjoy the time I do have with my children (and husband) and absolutely, 100% make the most of it! When I'm not working, I'm with my children, plain and simple, and that's what works for our family. My husband and I get out (alone) maybe once every couple of months, and again, that's what we choose, and that's what works for our family! :) Our weekends are spent together, as a family, making memories and enjoying life...whether that be our Friday night forts in the family room, or our Saturday adventures here, there and everywhere, or our Sunday, after church and Bible study, movies and snuggling. I don't think my children are going to feel less loved or less cared for when they look back at their childhoods...I hope all they remember is love and happiness! :)

My son is in school while I'm working (and at after school care for about 1 hour and 45 minutes until my husband picks him up). My daughter makes the commute with me each day (about 45 minutes) to our daycare ladies house (Linda, we call her "Linnie"). Linnie is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I would want no one else on this planet taking care of Mia but her (except me, of course! ;)) Linnie watched Manuel from 8 months old (he was with my sister-in-law prior to that) until he started preschool at 4! She's watched Mia from 8 weeks and will continue to watch her (God willing) until the time she starts preschool. I think it is absolutely crucial, if you work, to adore the person who takes care of your child(ren). I'm not sure I could have brought myself to return to work (after having Mia), if it wasn't for Linnie. She is that awesome! :) I'm also very thankful that I work at company where I can work from home when I need to! That is huge and SUCH a big help! :)

I'm excited for this link up and to meet other working moms!

Happy Friday! :)

7 comments:

Andrea said...

visiting from kelly's korner! You sound just like me. I have to work right now and have just accepted it, but hopefully it won't always be like that. I hate it when people think working moms love their "things" more than their kids! ~Andrea
www.dearbabyboutique.com

Melody said...

Loved this! I too am a working Mom of two, ages 15 and 10. I feel so out of touch with the SAHM's in my church . . . sometimes I feel like the minority . . . thanks for the encouragement today.

Mendy said...

Great post! I feel EXACTLY like you do - I would like to stay home but since I can't I'm going to make the best of it. I have 3 adorable children (ages 8, 4 and 1 month) and when I'm not working I'm with them. They know how loved they are and we do our best to fill our time making family memories!

christina said...

love this so. have a great weekend with your family! :)

Samantha said...

Thanks so much for posting this!

New follower and working mom myself!

~Samantha
www.thepeanutsgang.com

Southern Queen of the Crazies said...

Your little girl is adorable!!

Kim said...

I found your blog through Kelly's Korner. Why are working mommas stereotyped as heartless? Every working mom, I have come across LOVES their family and wants the best for them. I wonder how we change this negative view. Thanks for the great post!