Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day #3 of Thanks...

Happy Thursday Friends! :)

Here it goes for today...

"Day #3 of my annual 30 days of thanks...today (and everyday!) I'm thankful for my mom! Not only is she always there to help us, especially when we are in a bind with the kids, BUT she did an awesome job (if I do say so myself! ;)) of raising my sister and I, during our most difficult teenage years, by herself! She always taught us to put education first, never leave yourself reliant solely on one person, and always believed that I'd find my soulmate even when I was sure I never would! ;) She's finally making her dreams come true by starting her own Italian cookie business, and she really is just a wonderful, great person! Love you Mom!"

My mom is pretty awesome, and nothing that I write could even begin to touch how truly wonderful she is! She has done everything in her power to make my sister and I the women we are today, all by herself. She loved us at our most unlovable times (well, my sister was pretty "perfect" all the time, but I was moody and difficult during my teenage/early 20's! :)) She tried to sustain a marriage thinking its what was best for my sister and I, always putting herself last until she finally realized that my dad was never going to change, and she had to make big decisions. I'll never forget the day that my dad came home out of his mind (high on drugs and/or drunk. I was 14, my sister was 16) and my mom said to him, "Lou, either you wake up tomorrow morning and commit to getting yourself better, or when we wake up tomorrow morning you better not be here!" I can't even imagine the strength and courage that took knowing that her whole world would change if we woke up and my dad was gone, but she did it for us!!!! (Needless to say we woke up the next morning and my dad was gone-but that's another story, for another day to any of my new readers). She struggled for years to keep a roof over our heads, food in our cabinets, and clothes on our backs. Eventually we lost our house (one of the saddest, hardest days of my life. Not because I was sad for myself, but because I was SO sad for my mom!) but no matter what, she never gave up, she always pushed education, and truly made my sister and I the people we are today. I am SO proud to call her mom and I love her more then words can say! :)


Oh, and she is the best Nonna on the planet to Manuel, Spencer, Mia and Vivienne! :)
My mom and my sister on her Amy's wedding day
My mom and Vivienne, Christmas 2010
One of my favorite pictures ever of my mom and Manuel :)

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I love reading your Days of Thanks posts. Your mom sounds amazing!

Jennifer Vanzant said...

Aw how sweet;-) I know how you feel cuz my mom is my best friend and I love her so much and thank god for her everyday!

Holly said...

Awww...What a good mama! Aren't mom's the best! :o)

Kayla said...

thank god for moms. i wish i had a better relationship with my birth mother but my mil is about the best you can ask for!