Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake!

Needless to say, living in Maryland, I NEVER thought I would say, "I've experienced an earthquake" but unfortunately, about 2 hours ago, that changed! I'm sitting at work, well working (imagine that! ;)) and start to hear a rumble on the roof (this is not unusual because whenever someone is working on the roof, you can hear it. I assumed that's what it was) but then it wouldn't stop, the entire ground started shaking, the windows were rattling, the flat screen TV that sits behind me on the wall was shaking, and all of us just sort of stood there in shock. I'd say it lasted a minute or so and then it hit us all that it was in fact an earthquake (a 5.8 quake). Immediately everyone started calling their families, children, etc. I called Linnie first to check on Mia, and Linnie had felt it too (at this point I hadn't heard that the earthquake, who's epicenter was about 2 hours from my work, had been felt as far New York City, Georgia, etc. so OF COURSE, Linnie's house, which is about 9 minutes away felt it!) She was crying and very shaken just because those are her babies and she was very scared, BUT everyone was okay. Next was calling Manny, and Manuel's school. Thankfully everyone was okay! It took FOREVER to get through though because all the phone lines were really jammed up!

To the best of my knowledge there were no fatalities...PRAISE GOD!

Shewww, that really makes you want to love your family a little tighter and longer! I can't wait to pick up my babies and just give them a big ol' squeeze! :)

I apologize if this sounds dramatic, especially those of you who may have lived through 9.something earthquakes, but for this East Coast gal who has NEVER been through anything like this (along with the rest of my office), it was VERY scary!

Please keep this area in your prayers as they are saying there could be some pretty bad aftershocks.

Thanks friends! :)

8 comments:

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

So glad everyone is OK! I've only felt the smallest of earthquakes. I think I would have been shaken up too.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

OK, maybe shaken up wasn't the best term to use there. Wasn't trying to be funny. I would have been concerned too. :)

Jeska said...

How scary was that?! I was at a stop light in my car and immediately thought a bunch of guys were jumping on the back of it or something! I didn't know what was going on!! I'm so glad everyone that was affected is okay, there doesn't seem to be any damage anywhere so far! That was super scary.

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! How scary for you all! Glad you're all ok!

Jackie said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! Glad you all are okay!

Lindsay said...

Glad y'all are Ok :)

dottie said...

Glad you all are ok! Sounds so scary! What is going on these days?

Courtney B said...

Oh my goodness!! How crazy/scary!! I am so glad you and your sweet family are ok! Definitely praying!