Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thoughts?

I'm curious to see what peoples opinions are on this? (I would just post the article here, but I can't get it to post without making everything else all whacky and the spacing weird). Since I have mommy readers and those that aren't moms yet, I thought I'd get a good array of thoughts and opinions. :)

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the owner of a restaurant banning children from their establishment. Clearly they are aware of the ramifications, potential "backlash", potential drop in sales, etc. but if the majority of their clientele is people who don't have children, then why not? Feel free to disagree, this is just my take! :)

I might be the exception, and a tad overly cautious when it comes to this sort of thing (typically if my children get above a loud whisper I try to quiet them down. I know, I'm crazy, but I just don't want to be "that family"! ;)), I would never even think about taking my children to a fancy, quiet, higher-end restaurant. I worry way too much about what others think, and not to mention the fact that children, are, well children ;) You never know how they might behave. Sometimes you might be at a restaurant, and as long as they have a breadstick, straw or sugar packet (unopened, of course! :)) they are content as can be. And then you'll have those meals at a restaurant where they could be having the opportunity to cook the food themselves (of course, again, not that we'd allow that! ;)) but they still wouldn't be happy. They want out of the highchair, they want in the highchair, they want the crayons, they don't want the crayons, and well, you get the picture! We all have our moments, especially children, where a breakdown is eminent, and why would you want to ruin someones dinner by having your child scream and carry on?

What are your take/thoughts on this recent article?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That is a very good question. And honestly I have mixed opinions on it. I could see it sensible to ban children because of the style of the restaurant, but at the same time as a mom who takes her kids anywhere (within reason) it does turn me off to the restaurant. But I know my 2 year old has time where she is a perfect angel and times when she is a little devil at restaurants and there is not warning which she will be on any particular day. I think it is important manners to control your children even when they are devils out. There are times my husband and I will take turns eating at the table so my daughter can have her temper tantrums outside. I don't like doing that, but I respect the others in the restaurant enough to make the sacrifice. I would say we wouldn't go to a fancy restaurant with my daughter, but we have before. (not suit and tie, but still upscale) I also think it is different with a newborn than a toddler. So...I think the question is how rude they are about it. If that is how they want their restaurant to be then that is their preoperative.

dottie said...

I'm totally ok with this. Even with 3 kids of my own there are times when you just want to go our and NOT hear children (gasp!).

Just as long as not all restaurants do it. LOL!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I'm OK with it too. We've a great and not-so great restaurant experience. The last one--terrible! My 2-year-old wouldn't stay in his seat! I would rather be at a restaurant that caters to and is inviting to kids.

LisaAnne said...

I agree. If you choose not to allow children at your restaurant, that is your choice. I would still go to the restaurant, just not with young children.

It is a free country. They own the business. There is understandable reason for excluding children.