Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tomorrow....

*Please don't feel like you have to comment on my post these next few days...this is my on-line journal of sorts, so at times things might get pretty personal, but it's just whatever is on my heart at the moment. For another day I felt the desire to post my Caringbridge entries from the day, 3 years ago. Again, this is not for pity or sympathy, just feelings on my heart at the moment. Thank you! :))

Please continue to be in prayer for my sister, her family and our entire family...

Monday, May 5, 2008 6:15 AM, EDT

I did hear from Mike again last night, and Amy's contractions had started to space out a little bit. This was around 12:30am when he text me. I haven't heard anything since then, so let's hope and pray that no news is good news. Things were VERY uncertain and scary last night, so hopefully I'll get some much needed good news this morning when I call (usually around 9:30am). I'll post as soon as I hear something!
Keep the prayers coming! Amy was right, things can change SO quickly, so pray that God allows the boys to stay in for as long as possible!

Monday, May 5, 2008 9:33 AM, EDT

Okay, so I just got off the phone with Mike, after Amy's doctor (her high risk OB-Dr. Alger) came in to check things out. Here are a few key points...
1) They don't know why this is all happening, but due to the high amounts of blood she lost last Sunday (when this all began) and last night, they are discussing giving her a blood transfusion! Please pray that if that is what happens, everything will go smoothly. It is pretty scary and unexpected!
2) They were going to start giving the babies steroids on Thursday (23 weeks and 5 days, standard protocol) to help get their lungs stronger in the event they do come early, however, they are discussing starting the steroids today. It won't hurt anything, it's just a matter of whether or not it will help either!
3) They can't increase her magnesium (one of the meds helping prevent labor) unless the levels of magnesium in her blood come down. Her body has reached it's "quota" for magnesium. However, they may look into increasing her pills (not sure what med that is), if possible.
4) She appears to be about 2cm dilated, which is an increase from the 1cm she held steady at all last week. But like my wonderful brother-in-law said to me, "Well, if she only dilates one cm a week, we'll be in good shape." Good point Mike, let's hope that's the case!!!
Things are very uncertain at this point, and Amy is doing well, but it's just an emotional rollercoaster for her (and Mike too), as you can imagine. PRAY, PRAY, and PRAY! I'll post more after my visit, if there is anything pertinent to say.
Thank you for following their story and a HUGE thanks for the prayers!!!!! :)

Monday, May 5, 2008 8:40 PM, EDT

**Amy is 23 weeks and 2 days**
First off, I just want to apologize if my entries come across choppy, confusing, etc. Sometimes its hard to get all the information out correctly! :) Okay, with that out of the way, on to the important stuff...
I went and visited with Amy after work. And I must say, she looked GREAT! Much better then she has looked and much more "with it." (love ya Ames! :) Things are still up and down. When I first got there, she hadn't had any contractions in the prior hour and a half, however, over the course of two hours (while I was there) they started becoming more regular. Amy said, "It's just hard!" And I cant even begin to imagine how truly hard it is...emotionally, mentally, physically. But her and Mike are strong, have a great marriage, and will get through this, with hopefully 3 healthy sons! :)
Her blood levels came back up, so as of tonight, she does not need a transfusion.
The neonatalogist (sp?) came and spoke to Mike and Amy today. She presented them with some very scary figures and statistics, HOWEVER, there were two "on the bright side" points...even if the babies are born before 24 weeks they WILL try and save them! "If they are big enough for their smallest tube, they will actively try to save them." God PLEASE let them be big enough for their smallest pieces of equipment. If they aren't, they will "comfort and care" for them until they pass (but let's not even think about that!!!!!) As for their sizes...the neonatalologist said according to their last full ultrasound (at 22 weeks) all 3 boys were the size of singletons (meaning if she was just pregnant with each of them seperately at exactly 23 weeks and 2 days) which is AWESOME since multiples tend to "run small" (for lack of a better term).
One day is good news, one day is bad news, so all we can do is PRAY, PRAY, PRAY, and let God take care of the rest!
Thank you everyone for you kind words and encouragement. I know it means the world to Amy and Mike, as it does to our entire family!

In less than 24 hours of that last post it would all be over...

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Your sister's story has been weighing heavily on my heart. Although I am familiar with the pain of losing a child, I can't even begin to imagine the heartbreak that comes with losing 3 babies so close to term. It's just so unfair.

I'm thinking of your family, this week and always!

AmyLee said...

oh my gosh. lots & lots & lots of prayers to your sister & your family.

thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog today. it meant a lot.

Heather said...

I went to school with you girls, but I know your sister, not sure I ever met you in school....But anyway, I remember 3 years ago like it was yesterday and reading your CaringBridge entries while I was on my honeymoon and my heart absolutely breaking for your entire family. I know that nothing will ever take away that pain for your family, and I know that your 3 nephews touched your family's life forever. Thinking and praying for everyone today. (Thank you for posting these entries again...sometimes it is just the best therapy)