Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Life

So, I'm working from home today, and while Mia naps and Manuel watches some TV (I know, Worst Mother of The Year for letting my child watch TV! ;) I thought I'd write a blog post (hmm, shouldn't I be doing WORK!?!?!? Oh well, I digress :)

Life has been pretty crazy lately...asthma attacks, pink eye, kidney problems, croup, oh my! Manuel has always been "medically challenging" (by the time he was 18 months he had had a lumbar puncture, CT scans, x-rays, etc.) It was horrific to watch. But we made it through it all. By the time he was 2 1/2 years old, he had been hospitalized in the PICU for breathing problems. By the time he was 3 1/2 he been diagnosed with asthma, and had to be tested for cystic fibrosis. Although these "issues" seem mild compared to what some people have to go through, as a parent, it's tough to see your child suffer AT ALL, on ANY level!

When I found out I was pregnant with Mia I always told her that she needed to make sure she was "medically easy" child...NO issues! :) Apparently she didn't get the memo! :) Actually, she's been through more in her short (almost) 8 1/2 months of life, then Manuel had been through at this age. It appears that this is just the beginning as we figure out what her kidney issues are, and why her left kidney is significantly smaller then the right. Her labs came back normal on Friday, and at first read you might be thinking, "AWESOME!" but really it's not. We were hoping that her labs WOULD show something that would be an automatic explanation as to her kidney issue. Unfortunately since her labs showed nothing out of the ordinary, more invasive testing is her future. Again, nothing MAJOR, nothing that we can't handle, but still, nothing you ever want to see your child have to go through. Her nephrology team meets with the radiologist (who read her initial kidney u/s) on Friday to discuss the next step. Please pray that whatever the issue is, we can come up with a plan and move forward.

If you have a child who is completely healthy (minus the common cold or illness), thank God. And trust me, I thank God every day that it's "only" been what it has been with my children. It's never been anything terminal, and for that I am SOOOOO thankful!!!!

Thank you for listening to me babble :) Sometimes it's good just to write a ramble about life, and not about a photo challenge or link up! :)

Have a great day. Now I'm off to TRY and get actual work done....wish me luck! :)

And for good measure...

1 comment:

Jackie and Jared said...

I know how you must be feeling. Isla had surgery last month and it seemed harder for me than her. I'll be thinking of you and your family and hoping that everything turns out ok!