Thursday, July 22, 2010

The day of your birth


*Manuel at work with me a few weeks ago. Apparently he's not ready for the corporate world :)
So as I spend my break time at work perusing other womens blogs, I noticed a common theme...many women have taken the time to write a post about the day their children were born. Typically those women share the amazing details of their NATURAL births and I am in awe, start to finish. I just can't even fathom the pain that is endured during a NATURAL childbirth, but at the same time, the end result is certainly worth EVERY second (or I would assume :) But in reading these posts and seeing how every miniscule detail is accounted for, I thought to myself, "I better write my birth stories down before I forget those details!" So I'm going to start with Manuel's, as his has been 4 1/2 years, and I'm sure I've already lost some of the sweet memories of it. So here it goes...

I found out that I was going to be induced at my last appt (1/27/06) which was also my last day of work. They thought Manuel was going to be a 9-10 lb "football player" so they didn't want him cooking any longer! :) I was anxious, nervous, excited, scared, worried, happy, and pretty much any other emotion a first time mother could be feeling. I LOVED being prego through and was thorougly going to miss it. I NEVER got to the "GET THIS BABY OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW!" stage. I was never swollen. Never uncomfortable. I was going to miss this little baby being inside my belly. The night before my induction I was SO nervous! I couldn't sleep at all, especially knowing that I had to be at the hospital at 5am the next day (1/31/06) for the birth of my little boy! My first born! I did sleep for a few hours, and when I woke up I was ready to go (or so I thought! :) My hubby, mom and I headed to the hospital and got there right on schedule. We had to wait a short time and then were taken back to L&D. I got in my hospital gown, laid down and then came the question I dreaded, "How much did you weigh at your last appt?" UGHHHHHHHHHH! I had NEVER mentioned that number in front of my husband, EVER! Here I was, getting ready to give birth to his child, and still I couldn't mutter those words in front of him! :) I asked the nurse, very embarrased, "Can I just write it down? I don't want to say it outloud!" And to my surprise, she said, "Sure! A lot of women don't like saying their weight in front of their husbands!" SHEWWWW, I wasn't totally crazy! :) They started my IV, started the Pictocin, and I just laid there. I remember my OB, Dr. B, coming in and out (who I absolutely ADORE!!!) to check on me, and see how things were coming along. My nurses were super sweet, and all seemed well. We were just relaxing, watching TV and trying to pass the time as we had NO clue when our baby would be arriving. It could be hours, it could be days. I invited my mom to come back once I was settled. She sat in a chair next to bed and read (one of my moms favorite pasttimes) and to be honest, I'm not sure what hubby was doing. Probably saying funny things. He always has to be the "funny guy in a room" :) After a few hours, and several "checks" I had not progressed AT ALL. My OB decided that it was time to break my water. I was not scared, EVERYONE had told me, "It doesn't hurt at all if you have to have your water broken." so why should I be scared!?!?!? Well, boy oh boy was I wrong. As I grasped the bed rails, and cried, my mom and hubby rubbed my arms and tried to make me feel better. WHY WAS THIS HURTING SO BAD!?!??! Oh yeah, because the small dermoid (sp) cyst they had found during one of my routine u/s had grown fairly large, and something baby related was pushing against this cyst, and it was causing me a world of pain. Dr. B couldn't break it, but did something to "help" it break on it's own. I was able to sit back and just gather myself from the horrific pain I had just experienced. Then it happened, no, I didn't pee myself, although it felt like I had :) My water broke. And after several hours...still nothing! When Dr. B told me that I wasn't progressing I was pretty discouraged, but then he explained why...my cyst was so large that our little boy couldn't drop into the birth canal. It was time for a c-section.

The nurses prepped me to move to the OR. They wheeled me down. I was scared, but the only thing I was scared about was having to be apart from hubby for what felt like HOURS (but in reality it was probably only about 10-15 minutes). I felt ike if he was by my side nothing could happen. He's my protector. They gave me the spinal, laid me back, and in my walked hubby. I was SO relieved to see him. I remember looking up as they started the surgery, and I realized I could see some reflection of what they were doing in the huge light hanging above me. I knew immediately that I HAD to stop looking or else I was going to vomit all over myself, right there on the operating table. Dr. B told me that I wouldn't feel pain, but tugging and pulling, and he was right. It's a pretty strange feeling to know that your organs are being tugged, pulled and moved but yet you aren't in any pain! :) My hubby, remember-"funny guy in the room", thought I needed a play-by-play account of what was happening and began to describe to me what they were doing! Needless to say that ended REALLY quickly because who in their right mind wants to hear that?!?!? NOT ME! :) A couple more tugs later, "WAHHHH" my first born, Manuel Christopher was here! 7 lbs 11 oz (so much for that 9+ lb football player! :) at 3:30pm. I cried, my hubby cried. It was a beautiful moment.

I was stitched up (not that I remember that part because HELLO, I had just seen my son for the first time! :) and wheeled to Recovery. I was able to hold my son for the first time. I was in awe. He was beautiful. There were several family members anxiously awaiting the time they could meet the newest addition but I couldn't go to PostPartum until I was able to wiggle my toes and lift my legs. Do you know what a strange feeling it is to look down at your legs and feet, know that they are clearly functioning parts of your body, but yet you can't move them!?!? It's strange! :) After lots of time, I'd say it was an hour+, I got the "all clear" to move to my room. The flood of visitors started and everyone fell in my love, with my first love (well second next to my hubby), Manuel Christopher. I was required to stay at the hospital for 96 hours (c-section laws or something like that! ;)

Truth be told...I only had one super emotional, tear filled day (in a bad way) over the course of my hospital stay. My incision was sore, my stomach and all it's parts felt like one big knot and I couldn't use the bathroom (and that was PAINFUL! TMI-sorry! :), my breastfeeding attempts were failing miserably, I was inundated with visitors (probably too many), and I had just had enough! :) But other then that, everything about my hospital stay was great.

We were discharged on a rainy, cold February day, but that couldn't dampen our spirits. We were parents, and life as we knew it would NEVER be the same! :)

And I can certainly say, 4 1/2 years later, life is amazing, challenging, loving, trying, ups, downs, happy, sad, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Up next...Mia's birth story. This was fun! :)

No comments: