Friday, December 5, 2008

TRULY blessed

Take a second, right this VERY moment, to stop and think how blessed you are. I know it's hard...we are faced with so many trials and tribulations each and every day that we always think "Poor me", "This can't be my life", "Can this really be happening?", "Not AGAIN!", etc. and yes, times are tough for most of us, but you have to remember THINGS COULD ALWAYS BE WORST! ALWAYS! Trust me, I know, our family has had a very rough year from the passing of my nephews (www.caringbridge.org/visit/brannockfamily) to thinking my dad wouldn't make it through another medical bout, to my husband being unemployed for about 2 months, and every little trial in between but you know what, I'm blessed! I have a family who is truly wonderful-not just my husband and son, but my mother, my sister, and my aunts and uncles. We are blessed to be so close! We are the type of family where cousins are like siblings and Aunt and Uncles are like second parents. I know not everyone has that, so I know it's a HUGE blessing. We always tend to look the every day blessings (like a roof over our heads, a great family to come home to, etc.) and the negative always overshadows the positive. But I'm telling you to STOP and take a minute to realize the small stuff (oh my, so cliche, but true! :) When you are down in the dumps and think life can't get any worst, remember there is someone out there who would trade lives with you in heartbeat!

And let's go back to the topic of my son...I am SO blessed to have him. I know at times he can drive me crazy, and he's almost 3 (1/31/09), so he is tipping the ornery scale like there is no tomorrow, BUT I have him physically with me here on Earth, and for that I couldn't thank God more! He was sitting in the family room last night talking and talking and talking and would NOT stop! :) I was trying to watch one of my favorite shows (Survivor) and I thought to myself, "Geez louise, he is talking too much!" (I know, sue me, I'm a horrible mother for thinking that! ;) and then I stopped myself, and realized how at that moment there will millions of parents in this world, crying, missing their children who are now in Heaven, wishing they could hear them run their mouths for hours on end, one last time. I follow several, I'd guess around 30, Caringbridge sites and Carepages of children (angels and those still fighting on this Earth) and I know many of those parents would trade their best day for one of my worst days. I read about the IV, LP's, chemo, radiation, Picc lines, fluids, NG tubes, CT scans, scaniexty, MRI's, and the list goes on and on and on, and I can't even picture being in their shoes with MY son, with MY baby. But I'll tell you one thing, reading these stories and following these children (or their parents and families after the children are gone) really gives a new perspective on life. My husband doesn't understand how I do it, how I read these stories day in and out ("It's so depressing" he says and he's probably right), but talk about a wake-up call. Wow, it REALLY is! And honestly, I think I'm a much better person by following these children, I really do! Alexis, Andrew, Dylan, Brett, Julian, Coleman, Kennedy, Morgan, Morgan, Rachael, Sinjin, Trevor, Connor, Liam, and all the others have made such a huge impact on me as a person, and the mother that I strive to be!

Think about your blessings. Even if you think you have NONE, you do! :)