Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A couple dozen burnt cookies is all the memories we need!


It all started on December 9, 2003...this was the day that we got a call from my uncle in South Carolina telling us that my PopPop (straight off the boat from Sicily! As Italian as you can get! :) had passed away. He was down there visiting my uncle with my Nonna (his wife). PopPop was gone, Nonna was left a widow and it was our job to help her pick up the pieces. She came back home from South Carolina and we knew we had to help her find a new normal without PopPop. And so, along with several other things, we decided to start a tradition that every year, in December, all the girls (women) in the family would get together and bake cookies, FROM SCRATCH! :) And every December since 2003 that's what we've done! We make memories, and make delicious cookies (typically-however this year we burnt more then not!) but most importantly we had a blast. Nonna sat at the table and supervised while my sister, my mom, aunts and cousins, scurried around the kitchen trying to make something edible! :) We had a wonderful time and I can't wait to one day, add a little girl of my own to this tradition. The holidays are all about family and being together. Don't get me wrong, we all like new things, but honestly, I'd be NO ONE without my family and I wouldn't trade them or our traditions for all the gifts in the world!!!!!

1 comment:

The Pitter Patter Boutique said...

Sounds like fun! You can just do what I do and blame the burnt part on the oven. It's never the baker's fault. :-)

Merry Christmas to you and your family!